Phusion Passenger is software that deploys Ruby and Python web apps, by integrating into Apache and Nginx and turning them into a fully-featured application server. It is very fast, stable and robust and thus used by the likes of New York Times, AirBnB, Symantec, Pixar, etc. It comes with many features that makes your life easier and your application perform better.
Phusion Passenger is under constant maintenance and development. Version 4.0.4 is a bugfix release.
Phusion Passenger also has an Enterprise version which comes with a wide array of additional features. By buying Phusion Passenger Enterprise you will directly sponsor the development of the open source version.
- Fixed autodetection of noexec-mount /tmp directory. Fixes issue #850
and issue #625.
- Fixed a WSGI bug. wsgi.input was a file object opened in text mode,
but should be opened in binary mode. Fixes issue #881.
- Fixed a potential crash in Out-of-Band Work. Fixes issue #894.
- Fixed a potential crash in rolling restarting, which only occurs if a
process was also being spawned at the same time. Fixes issue #896.
- [Apache] The RailsBaseURI and RackBaseURI directives have been unified.
For a long time, RailsBaseURI told Phusion Passenger that the given
sub-URI belongs to a Rails 2 application. Attempt to use this
directive with Rails 3 or with Rack applications would result in an
error. Because this confused users, RailsBaseURI and RackBaseURI
have now been unified and can now be used interchangably. Phusion
Passenger will automatically detect what kind of application it is.
The Nginx version already worked like this. Fixes issue #882.
- [Standalone] The Passenger Standalone temp directory and
PassengerWatchdog server instance directory have been unified.
PassengerWatchdog already automatically updates the timestamps of
all files in its server instance directory every 6 hours to prevent
/tmp cleaners from deleting the directory. Therefore this
unification prevents the Passenger Standalone temp directory to be
deleted by /tmp cleaners as well. Fixes issue #654.
- [Standalone] types_hash_max_size has been increased from 1024 to 2048.
This solves a problem that causes Nginx not to start on some
platforms. Contributed by Jan-Willem Koelewijn.
Open source users can install the open source version of 4.0.4 with the following commands:
gem install passenger passenger-install-apache2-module passenger-install-nginx-module
In-depth installation and upgrade instructions can be found in the Installation section of the documentation. The documentation covers:
- Detailed tarball installation instructions.
- Detailed upgrade instructions.
- Installation troubleshooting.
- Installation through APT and YUM.
You can view the documentation online here:
If you would like to stay up to date with Phusion news, please fill in your name and email address below and sign up for our newsletter. We won’t spam you, we promise.